Sunday 22 May 2011

Here Come the Mods

In the Summer of 1980 I was still clinging on to my punk credentials. By that,I mean, I still wore a leather jacket with a Clash button badge on it. 'I want Complete Control' it said and was given out when the band played at Clouds in Edinburgh a few years before their eventual megastardom arrived. 

I was staying in Ayr that early May day and had wandered down to the Low Green and was rummaging about in the amusement arcades to pass the day. When I emerged into the sunlight I saw a sight and a half. Hundreds of Mods, I mean hunners of them, everywhere, as far as the eye could see. Mods in parkas and stripey blazers and sta press slacks and scooters, lots of them. And me, only guy in the whole of Ayrshire wandering about in a rocker jacket declaring my allegiance to a band of punks. 

It could have been a re-enactment of the Battle of Margate, except I feel the Rocker was gonna get a hell of a beating. 

Nought happened. The Mods scooted about, preened themselves and made sure their shoes didn't get dirty. I bought an ice cream and meandered off home. 

What stayed with me though was the power a lot of people all dressed the same has. It was a formidable sight and more than a little vaguely threatening if you didn't fit. 

The answer to the question 'why would you choose to dress and look all the same?' eluded me then as much as it does now.

I suppose some folk join gangs and tribes and some folk don't, simple as that. That summer day showed  me the attraction of being in a big group all walking to the beat of the same drum. 

Musically, I liked a lot of the music the Mods claimed for their clan. As an early punk, I had a disdain for anything done by that man Weller and his chums in The Jam. Bandwagon jumpers, we all asserted. What punk band would be directed by their father? That early dismissal of St Paul continues to burn to this day. 

But I would go on to buy 45's by Secret Affair and The Lambrettas and more. During study at University I had listened almost exclusively to Quadrophenia. I think only because it was the longest cassette I had and so didn't have to get up from my studies too often to change over the tape. The beauty of this masterplan was not ,unfortunately, reflected in my final grades. Although the film was decent, it had Sting in it. Another fellow who clambered on to the one chord heroes band wagon with his band The Police. 

My real jealousy lay in the Mods claim to some of the best music from the Sixties. And as the years drift by this music plays in my little white earbuds more than those punk icons. 

I have Uncut magazine on subscription more through laziness rather than desire. Each month there is a cover mount cd which usually promises much but seldom fails to disappoint. However, yesterday the postie brought me the latest issue which has a cd containing some great Mod tunes. Barrett Strong, Smokey Robinson, The Turners, Sam Cooke, Carla Thomas and more. Not a bad tune in sight. I haven't yet mentioned that it also holds delights by James Brown, Ray Charles and Little Willie John. 15 gems for your car, your bar b q, your very own house party soundtrack. 


If it wasn't raining a deluge, I would jump in the car and just drive around listening to it at full volume. Well that and the fact that my car still only contains a tape player. So Quadrophenia again, it will have to be. 

You have no such excuse. 





No comments:

Post a Comment