Wednesday 1 July 2009

What's that Song?



As you can see I tend to mix it up a bit when djing, moving through various genres depending on who is in the bar.
Last week it started off with some reggae because it was sunny and then into some classic rock , as the bar was filled with males and some in their forties, followed by some up to date indie, for the younger crew. Also I couldn't but help going into The Doors straight after Kasabian's new tune as it was such a good match.
When the girls arrived I softened it up and went into some dance tunes.

Anyway, I don't get that many requests and even less often does someone come up and ask what the song I am playing is called.
But in the last fortnight different folk have come up and asked that very question and both about the same record!
The music in question is a mash-up of Lady Gaga's Just Dance, which everyone knows, and the mystery tune underneath is 'Beachball' by Nalin and Kane.


This was originally out in'97 as an instrumental from the German producers. It was fairly popular so vocals were added to maximise its cross over appeal. Since then it has cropped up quite remarkably often on trance compilations over the years. Dave Pearce included it on his collection in 2008.
I still have the original cd single from 1997 but the version I play os off Kiss in Ibiza 1997 compilation. You can buy this for I assume £2 in any second hand record shop. Well worth it too as side 2 is still a good listen, especially the last few tracks. Good barbecue music in this hot summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment