Sunday 11 October 2009

Smugglers 10th October

Have just upgraded my digital dj software from Traktor 3 to Pro. In so doing I have managed to lose the History section (don't ask, I don't know what I did. Might have to break with a habit of a lifetime and read a manual). Long story, short outcome - no tracklisting for last night.
I could try and remember it but that's tricky at my age.
Busy night - all guys till 10pm, then the girls until 12:30am leaving a few party stalwarts till 1am.


On Friday, went up to Spit Fire at the Merchant City in Glasgow. The guys who run it are the opposite of me. Where I try to make the music flow whilst still going through various genres, Keith and Scott just play what they think of at the time. When it works, it is wonderful. It contains the element of perpetual surprise because you genuinely do not have a clue about what song will appear next. When it fails, it does so spectacularly.


So on Friday, Keith felt that Joy Division's 'Transmission' should be followed by Toni Basil's 'Mickey'. No where else on Earth would two more incongruous toons be played back to back.
Not to be outdone Scott felt the world was now ready for the Tavares revival ( ask your mother).
Did some drunken shuffling on the dancefloor to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Pains of Being Pure at Heart and Camera Obscura. Also liked hearing 'World Destruction' by Afrika Bambatta and John Lydon, Wave of Mutilation by Pixies and Subterranean Homesick Blues by Dylan.

A good night, despite Ms Basil, with us again still standing, if a little unsteadily at 2am.

I have lost the wee picture icon at the top of this post. It was the same for my Pixies piece- so no pics. Sorry.    Ooh- it's back.

No comments:

Post a Comment