Sunday 3 May 2009

Next Date : Friday 8th May.




Half an Hour guest slot at Spitfire in Glasgow.

30 minutes ain't a lot of time, and it'll be early on so no one will be up for the dancing.

And I'll need to go back to working off cds. Which I'll need to burn on to separate discs so I can mix between them. All this means thought beforehand and a vague plan on what I am going ot play. Whereas, I prefer the tried and tested way of staring at a huge list of tracks on the laptop for far longer than usual before realising that time is running out and then slammin' on the first song that comes to mind. Seems to work in a primative artist kind of a way.

I have some ideas and will take a selection of toons I like and play them - how hard can it be? It'll just be one damn song after another.

At present I am definately favouring 'Life during Wartime' by Talking Heads. I was leaning towards 'Poplife' by Blur but played it out on Saturday and it was a bit muffly and underproduced. It is far from the best sound system on Friday and if I remember they guys mix through a Soundlab mixer with all the lights turned to a nice bright red colour, so anything not crystal clear in production, sounds like the veritable herd of elephants falling down the stairs. Which is not the sound I intentionally go for.
How the elephants got up there in the first place is a different question.

I am also going to think about '500(shake baby shake) by Lush, 'Gasoline' by Airborne Toxic Event and 'Revolution' as covered by Stereophonics.
The usual suspects will be Orange Juice, Pixies, Beatles, Lemonheads, Go-Betweens and St Etienne.
There was also an unexplained urge to dig out 'Lucky Number' by Lene Lovich. This I am trying to ignore.

Tune in next week and I'll tell you how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment