Sunday 10 May 2009

SpitFire : Blackfriars Bar, Glasgow

Just a short set of half an hour. Started at 11pm with the place just starting to fill up. The night doesn't finish until 2am so folk were arriving and getting seats and drinks etc when I kicked off.
Tracklisting as follows

1. A sentence of sorts in Kongsvinger - Of Montreal
2. Half Asleep - School of 7 bells
3. Feel the Love - Cut Copy
4. Girls in their summer dresses - Airbourne Toxic Event
5. Life during wartime - Talking Heads
6. Reverend Black Grape - Black Grape
7. Subterranean Homesick Blues - Dylan
8. Alison's starting to happen - Lemonheads
9. The '59 Sound - Gaslight Anthem
10 Kids - MGMT (remix)

I thought the mixing was good and the short set flowed well. It may be questionable to begin with a song about someone having a nervous breakdown in Norway, or indeed any song about Norway, but it does mean the only way is up for the rest of the tunes.
Actually 'Half Asleep', whilst on the surface is very pretty is also a fairly sad song. 'Feel the Love' does what it says on the label though.
I had originally wished to play'Gasoline' by Airborne Toxic Event but settled on 'Summer dresses' instead as it is gentler,more summery and guitar driven so helped move the set from the synth sound into the funkier beat of Talking Heads.
'Reverend Black Grape was edited out at around the 02:30 mark and into Dylan and the Lemonheads which both upped the energy. The Gaslight Anthem and MGMT maintained the
set's velocity.

I felt that the first half of the songs would be relatively unknown and then I would wrap it up with some more easily recognisable ones.


Martin was due to take over from me but he wasn't ready so I followed on by playing 'Gone Daddy Gone' by Violent Femmes. Scott then dropped in 'Don't Get me wrong' by the Pretenders and that was me done.

If asked, or if I was to beg again, I would love to play again and especially a bit later once some brave folk had got the dancing going. In dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment